Monday, 17 September 2012

Track Day

Saturday was the club's annual fun track day where everyone gets to dabble in track athletic events you normally don't get to do during training or racing.

I decided it was a good idea to do the 100m, 200m, 4X100m relay & the 4X400m Pint relay.
Natale signed up for the 200m, 4x100m relay and the 4X400m Pint relay.

My 100m & 200m were the 2nd and 3rd events of the day and after jogging from the finish line down to the 100m start line as my hardcore warm up I ran both races in quick succession. Thirty seconds later and I had strained my glute so the fun track day was over for me, what a muppet! I really really should have warmed up properly and sprinting 100m and 200m as fast as you can, cold, is not a good idea.
From that point on I was merely a spectator which was actually quite pleasant, just lying around like a lizard in the last of the summer sun watching everyone else run around like crazy people. I am still a bit stiff today but at least I didn't seriously injure myself.

Natale managed just fine (also with no warm up but less mullet behaviour) and ran a great 200m & 4X100m relay. As expected the highlight of the day was definitely the pint relay. 4 members on a team, each person has to down a warm pint of Carling beer followed by a 400m run then high five a team mate and off goes the next person, down pint & run 400m. This was hilarious to watch and brilliant fun. Their team came stone last but they did themselves proud. The key here is speedy beer drinking and not speedy running :-)

Once the blue ribbon event was done it was down to the pub for a few cold beers.

We all had a really fun day in the sun & will be back next year.

Here be pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22538412@N03/sets/72157631573395417/



No comments:

Post a Comment